Dear cluster users, ZIMT has recently aquired an HPE Moonshot system, which, like HorUS, is available to everyone at the university. This system can be used for compute jobs in addition to HorUS. The difference to HorUS is that the Moonshot technology is specialized for so-called High Throughput Computing. This term refers to workloads which Read More
Welcome to the website of the Scientific Computing service of ZIMT.
ZIMT (Zentrum für Informations- und Medientechnik) operates the HoRUS cluster and a number of other systems to provide scientific computation capabilities to all scientists of Uni Siegen. Using the systems is free for all members of the university.
If you would like to use on of our systems, or if you are looking for advice on scientific computing, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this website
This website has several purposes:
- For news updates about the cluster and the other systems
- As a source of information for new users of HoRUS, who want to know how to obtain access to the cluster and how to get started once they have access.
- As a source of information for advanced users of HoRUS, when they need information about the installed application software and the installed programming languages, libraries and development tools or system information about the cluster.
- As a source of information for users who would like to try out the other systems or would like to know more about them.
- As a collection of documentation and best practices.
The HoRUS cluster (German: Hochleistungs-Rechner der Universität Siegen) is the central computing resource and the largest of our systems by far.
The cluster is used for example for computations in the fields of computational fluid dynamics, finite-element methods and chemical simulations. However, applications from many other fields (e.g. Big Data) are also possible.
The HoRUS cluster consists of 134 regular compute nodes with 12 cores and 48 GB RAM each, as well as 20 nodes with 16 cores and 64 GB RAM each. Around 60 TB of total disk storage is available and the peak performance is roughly 17 TFlops.
The installed operating system is CentOS Linux.
You can find more detailed system information here.
ZIMT currently makes available the following other systems:
- an HPE Moonshot (System for High Throughput Computing)
Further systems will be available shortly.
You can find a more detailed overview here. These systems are particularly suited for testing the corresponding processor architectures. If you want to know whether your software might profit from running on one of these systems, please contact us.
The cluster is operated by the HPC support team of ZIMT. If you have questions, problems or would like software to be installed on the cluster, you can reach us at:
All cluster users are also added to a mailing-list automatically which is used for news updates.